1.24.2011

tzatziki

source: martha stewart

this has also been modified by me over the years to make it easier & quicker, & even more delicious! shaun spent a summer in greece, & he helped me fine tune this recipe.

1 large container plain yogurt {NOT lowfat!}
1-2 cucumbers, peeled & seeded
2-3 tablespoons dill {i use dried, but fresh is nice, too, just use more}
3-5 cloves garlic, minced {this is the one time i use my garlic press & think it matters}
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
coarse salt, to taste


1. drain the yogurt using a large fine sieve lined with coffee filters for minimum 4 hours in the fridge. {you can buy greek yogurt which is already thicker, but this method is cheaper!}

2. in a food processor, add all ingredients & pulse until smooth. add more garlic & salt as desired. {we love it super-duper garlicky.}

serve with pita chips, chickpea fritters, london broil, or on gyros! also good with veggies.

2 comments:

Elaine said...

Yea!! Perfect timing!! I looked the recipe up on-line so I could try it but now I can use your recipe. The yogurt is already drained so I can finish it up tonight and make chickpea fritters for lunch tomorrow.

VNess said...

one of my all time favorites!!!